May 18, 2011

To the Real Charlotte

Dear Charlotte,

I thought about you today while I was slicing some bread. I thought about how my mom says she used to come home from school to the smell of homemade bread fresh from the oven and how she would always get the coveted heel because she got home first and you would talk to your kids about their day at school while they ate the bread you'd made for them. Like a loaf of homemade love fresh from the oven just waiting to be shared.

I wish I could have known you. I wish I could listen to you play the piano and fill a home with beautiful music. I wish I could be there when your beautiful smile lights up a room. I wish I could tell you how amazing your children turned out - my mom and JoAnn and Dave and Larry and Spencer, who I wish we could find and know he was okay and tell him we love him. I wish you could see your great grandchildren as they grow and learn and share their excitement for life. You have so many and they are so beautiful.

I feel like I could never be the kind of amazing person I know you were from all the stories I've heard. From the people you loved. From the example you left behind. When we finally get to meet, eye to eye and face to face, I want to be able to tell you that I served my family like you served yours - one loaf of fresh homemade love at a time.

Until that day...
Love, Me

No comments: