June 21, 2010

The $1.50 Dress

You might be like some people and think you can't sew. Or you might be like me and know you can't sew but refuse to admit it. Well, cute Kathy (who can sew) posted this tutorial for a sundress and I thought, Hey! I can do that! So I did. My first attempt was slightly less than incredible and will remain a mystery for both of you that read my blog. Let's just say I made it while Princess Ricochet was asleep so I couldn't try it on her (so it hit the floor) and that it did NOT shrink up by half when I did it and she's the thinnest stick this side of Texas (so I had to pin it three times to make it tight enough) and the sleeves weren't in quite the right place (so they kept slipping up off her shoulders). And of course it was Sunday morning when she saw it and had to try it on and loved it and had to wear it to church. Did I mention pinning it three times? Just checking.

ANYWAY, being the persistent person that I am, I had to give it another go. That and I have a lot of fabric just lying around that needs to be used for something. This is try #2:
I cut the width down to just under 1 1/2 times the width around her chest (not quite wide enough...), only sewed the outside edge of the sleeves with elastic and made it much shorter. I also placed the sleeves a little further to the outside (if that makes any sense) and they seem to stay put a little better. This one is made from a jersey-type fabric and I think I like it slightly better than the regular ol' knit I used first. And it took me less than 2 hours from start to finish.

So, $1.50 for a spool of elastic thread, fabric I already had, and less than 2 hours work for a look this priceless:
Not bad, eh?

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Great job! I like the wide sleeves and your daughter is adorable! Thanks for linking back to my blog.

Hutchings said...

I am very impressed!

Hilary Joy said...

Impressive! Someday I'm going to actually learn how to use my sewing machine!

Rebecca R. Farnsworth said...

So I guess I make reader #4. Am I included in the "both"?

Nice job on the dress. (read with the classic Ricochet flirty laugh, please)

Amanda said...

so cute!! Are you taking orders?